Thursday 2 February 2012

A 2011 Retrospective: Part One

So far 2012 has got off to a flying start, with three great walks done in January and many plans for the months to come including a number of challenge walks. Right now I'd like to take a trip back to the year gone by and a look at some of the walks and adventures undertaken then. This post links back to some highlights from the first half of the year, enjoy!
---
2011 was a great year for me walking-wise. As well as making a number of trips to the Lake District I really got my teeth into some of the areas closer to home - the Yorkshire Dales and Teesdale. As well as walking achievements I had a fantastic year - I married my beautiful wife Claire and we had a wonderful short honeymoon in Ambleside. Getting to grips with my new job, music and a Summer trip to the Ile d'Yeu off the coast of Vendee, France have been some other highlights.

Let me take you back to some of my walking highlights from the first half of 2011. Please click on the links for the full stories and pictures

Teesdale - Cauldron Snout and Cow Green


On an icy cold day last Winter I made a trip up Teesdale which is a great drive in itself. Instead of stopping at the regular spot at High Force I continued up to the waterfall and reservoir of Cauldron Snout and Cow Green. READ THE BLOG POST HERE

Scrambling in the North-Western Fells - The Bishop of Barf


Due to a trial-bike event most of the regular paths around Whinlatter were closed to walkers, this meant taking the direct route up Barf via the Bishop. Not for the faint-hearted! READ THE BLOG POST HERE

The Meadows of Swaledale - Muker to Keld


We were too early in the season to see the celebrated meadows of Swaledale in full bloom, but this walk around the upper reaches of Swaledale is spectacular any time of year. READ THE BLOG POST HERE

Nine Standards Rigg


Having marvelled at pictures of this fell and it's Nine Standards as well as viewing it through the window of a car on the way to the Lakes, I finally made a visit to this Coast to Coast attraction. READ THE BLOG POST HERE

Conquering the Big Guns - Great Gable


This was my contribution to the Wainwright Society 2011 Challenge walk. Thick fog and heavy rain meant it was indeed a challenge! READ THE BLOG POST HERE

Falls and Follies - In the Yorkshire Dales


Picturesque villages, legendary waterfalls, meadows, mysterious follies and stone barns - this low level Dales walk to from West Burton the the Aysgarth Falls certainly packs a punch. READ THE BLOG POST HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment